Veteran trainer Mel Stute, who saddled his first winner at Portland Meadows in 1947, has nine horses cataloged at the Barretts Winter Mixed Sale that begins Jan. 24, but says he isn't retiring yet.
Villa Margurite, an unraced full sister to multiple stakes winner Hugh Hefner, sold for $120,000, the highest price of the Barretts January mixed sale, held Jan. 22-23 at Fairplex Park in Pomona. Offered third from the end of the second session Jan. 23, the 5-year-old daughter of Bertrando was the only six-figure price over the two days.
Most Popular Stories
- New Horsemen's Incentives at Pimlico Meet
- Carpe Diem Back at Keeneland for Blue Grass
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 31, 2015
- Stallion Sharp Humor Dies in South Korea
- Suffolk Expected to Apply for 2015 Live Dates
- Undrafted Opens Season in Shakertown
- Kobe's Back Returns East for Commonwealth
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'