Veteran trainer Mel Stute, who saddled his first winner at Portland Meadows in 1947, has nine horses cataloged at the Barretts Winter Mixed Sale that begins Jan. 24, but says he isn't retiring yet.
Villa Margurite, an unraced full sister to multiple stakes winner Hugh Hefner, sold for $120,000, the highest price of the Barretts January mixed sale, held Jan. 22-23 at Fairplex Park in Pomona. Offered third from the end of the second session Jan. 23, the 5-year-old daughter of Bertrando was the only six-figure price over the two days.
Most Popular Stories
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Judy the Beauty Splendid in Las Flores Score
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Expectations High for OBS 2-Year-Old Sale
- Darley Sire Lonhro Enters Australian Hall
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Golden Gate Fields Adds Alcatraz Stakes
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%