Veteran trainer Mel Stute, who saddled his first winner at Portland Meadows in 1947, has nine horses cataloged at the Barretts Winter Mixed Sale that begins Jan. 24, but says he isn't retiring yet.
Villa Margurite, an unraced full sister to multiple stakes winner Hugh Hefner, sold for $120,000, the highest price of the Barretts January mixed sale, held Jan. 22-23 at Fairplex Park in Pomona. Offered third from the end of the second session Jan. 23, the 5-year-old daughter of Bertrando was the only six-figure price over the two days.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Curlin Colt Tops Strong Keeneland Session
- Flashback Retired to Stand at Hill 'n' Dale
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Oversight Board Reviews NYRA Finances
- Three-Time Grade I Winner Behrens Dies
- Equine Encephalitis Reported in New York
- Fast Anna Get Class Relief in Gallant Bob
- Velazquez to Ride Euro Charline in QEII
- Churchill, Yum! Brands Ink 5-Year Agreement