Veteran trainer Mel Stute, who saddled his first winner at Portland Meadows in 1947, has nine horses cataloged at the Barretts Winter Mixed Sale that begins Jan. 24, but says he isn't retiring yet.
Villa Margurite, an unraced full sister to multiple stakes winner Hugh Hefner, sold for $120,000, the highest price of the Barretts January mixed sale, held Jan. 22-23 at Fairplex Park in Pomona. Offered third from the end of the second session Jan. 23, the 5-year-old daughter of Bertrando was the only six-figure price over the two days.
Most Popular Stories
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- A Look Back at Quack's California Derby
- PA Development Fund Helped Brandt Expand Feed Business
- What's Going On Here: No Bid, No Win
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Mexikoma to Stand at Keen Farms
- National HBPA Set for Convention in March in Las Vegas
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- Awesome Slew Stands Out in Sunshine Millions Classic