Past success in Japan with purchases at the Barretts March sale led Chikura Takahashi to return in force for the selected 2-year-olds in training sale March 22.
On the eve before the March 12 Barretts March select sale of 2-year-olds in training, here are the horses that have people talking.
What a Song, the $1.9-million Barretts March sale topper who won Sunday's Best Pal Stakes (gr. II) at Del Mar for owners Bob and Beverly Lewis, was euthanized Friday after suffering a fractured sesamoid in his right front leg during a routine gallop a few hours earlier.
A son of Indian Charlie with a long, ground-gobbling stride was among the standouts Sunday at Fairplex Park during the second and final under tack show for the Barretts March select sale of 2-year-olds in training. The bay colt worked the fastest eighth of a mile, covering the distance in :10.0.
The Thoroughbred Corp. will disperse all of its racing stock at the Barretts March 2-year-olds in training sale on March 2. Among the 58 horses to be sold is multiple graded stakes winner Atlantic Ocean.
It used to be the industry's highest grossing juvenile auction. But the Barretts March select sale in Southern California has fallen on hard times in recent years. It has experienced growing difficulty attracting horses from major pinhookers on the East Coast. And it is no longer the favorite of the Japanese, who turn out in higher numbers for Fasig-Tipton Florida's Calder auction.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Owner/Breeder Aaron Jones Dies
- McEvoy Steps Down as Godolphin Jockey
- Consignors Busy Ahead of Louisiana Sale
- Heart to Heart Among Eight for Jefferson Cup
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Shared Belief Needs to be Awesome...Again
- Juddmonte's Elite Miler Kingman Retired
- Goldencents to Remain in California
- Al Shaqab's Toronado to National Stud in 2015
- Indiana Immediately Suspends Two Licensees