A heater being used to prevent a bucket of water from freezing has been cited as the cause of a Feb. 25 fire that resulted in the deaths of six horses at Chanteclaire Farm near Midway, Ky.
Three yearlings reportedly scheduled to be sold at the Keeneland January horses of all ages sold died in a Central Kentucky barn fire just before midnight Jan. 10.
Three Chimneys Farm president Case Clay is praising two farm employees who went into a burning barn the night of July 24 to rescue two broodmares.
There were no fatalities to humans or horses when a broodmare barn at Robert N. Clay's Three Chimneys Farm was destroyed by fire after being struck by lightning Sunday evening, July 24.
An early morning fire on Labor Day killed at least 27 horses stabled at three barns located across from Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races in Ranson, W.Va.
Five Thoroughbred fillies scheduled to be sold at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale were killed Thursday when a fire believed caused by lightning destroyed a barn at Oscar Penn Jr.'s Penn Farm near Lexington, Ky.
- By Ron Mitchell
Woodbine Racecourse canceled Sunday racing as a result of an overnight fire in two barns on the track's backetretch. Track officials said some horses were believed to have died in the 3 a.m. blaze in barns 7 and 7A but additional details were not immediately available.
Leading New York owner Carl Lizza hoped to broaden the scope of his mostly homebred racing stable by buying a large number of yearlings in 2001. His hopes perished in a late-afternoon barn fire Feb. 23 that killed 22 horses in training at Mike O'Farrell's Ocala Stud in Florida.
Most Popular Stories
- Scat Daddy Colt Tops Sale at F-T Florida
- Shared Belief a Massive Favorite in Big 'Cap
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- On the Muscle, Dortmund Ready for San Felipe
- Carpe Diem Faces Ocean Knight in Tampa Derby
- Gulfstream 'Cap Distance Fits Private Zone
- Winning Prize to Defend Kilroe Mile Title
- Retired Trainer Lake Dies in Saratoga Springs
- Conquest Two Step One to Beat in San Carlos
- BC Tickets Still Available After Day One Sale