The National Thoroughbred Racing Association Dec. 5 announced that its subsidiary, NTRA Charities, has disbursed $90,801 in support of one new and two continuing equine medical research projects.
Artist Susan Sommer-Luarca's portrait "Barbaro" -- a 5' by 4' tonal acrylic on canvas that was painted at Churchill Downs during Kentucky Derby week -- brought a final price of $14,400 at the conclusion of bidding yesterday on eBay.
Bidding on acclaimed artist Susan Sommer-Luarca's portrait "Barbaro" is up to $12,600 with bidding continuing on Ebay until June 1 at 10:00 a.m. (EST).
Yum! Brands, presenting sponsor for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), announced Monday, April 30, that it will offer a $1-million to the connections of any horse that wins this year's Derby and beats Barbaro's winning margin of 6 1/2 lengths.
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association, Churchill Downs, Magna Entertainment, and the New York Racing Association announced March 20 that Kentucky Derby day, Preakness Stakes day, and Belmont Stakes day have been established as national fundraising dates for the NTRA Charities Ã¢â‚¬" Barbaro Memorial Fund.
The NTRA board of directors has approved a 2007 budget that projects $19.5 million in revenue and $19.2 million in expenses.
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association has created the Barbaro Memorial Fund to raise awareness and money for equine health and safety research.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29