A jockey autograph session hosted at Belmont Park June 26 raised $1,000 that will be shared equally by the Barbaro Fund for Equine Health and Safety Research and the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund.
Breyer model horse maker Reeves International contributed $126,500 to the Laminitis Fund, created in memory of Barbaro, during the annual Alibi Breakfast Thursday at Pimlico Race Course.
On Kentucky Derby Day, the Equine Wellness Foundation donated $10,000 to the Barbaro Fund at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. The funds will support research on laminitis, which ultimately was responsible for Barbaro's death in January 2007.
NBC's one-hour documentary, "Barbaro: A Nation's Horse," will premiere Sunday, April 29, on what would have been the 2006 Kentucky Derby winner's fourth birthday.
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association, Churchill Downs, Magna Entertainment, and the New York Racing Association announced March 20 that Kentucky Derby day, Preakness Stakes day, and Belmont Stakes day have been established as national fundraising dates for the NTRA Charities Ã¢â‚¬" Barbaro Memorial Fund.
Barbaro, who thrilled racing fans with his sublime victory in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and captivated many millions more worldwide with his gut-wrenching fight for life after suffering a catastrophic breakdown in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), was euthanized Jan. 29.
Approximately 20,000 signatures and get-well wishes were collected on "the world's largest get well card" Saturday afternoon at Belmont Park.
Below are selected links to some Web sites that have been established related to Barbaro.
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered