New York shipper Oprah Winney fought off all comers to record her first graded stakes win, a front-running three-quarters of a length victory over Silmaril in the $285,000 Barbara Fritchie Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at Laurel Park Saturday.
Five shippers from Florida and New York will test local star Silmaril at Laurel Park Saturday in the $300,000 Barbara Fritchie Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares.
The 2006 runnings of the Barbara Fritchie Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) and the General George Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II), the marquee races of the Laurel Park winter meeting, have been canceled because of the equine herpesvirus outbreak, officials of the Maryland Jockey Club announced Feb. 20.
The Maryland Jockey Club lifted its self-imposed quarantine on Pimlico Race Course Feb.8, allowing horses from the Baltimore track to compete at Laurel Park for the first time since Jan. 21. Twelve Pimlico-based horses ran on Wednesday's card (after two were morning scratches). Five of the nine races featured Pimlico horses.
Maryland Jockey Club officials are hopeful they will be able to lift the equine herpesvirus quarantine at Pimlico Race Course Feb. 4, MJC chief operating officer Lou Raffetto said at a news conference at Laurel Park Jan.27. Raffetto placed the quarantine on the track Jan. 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Queen of The Sand Rebounds in Santa Barbara
- Whiskey Ticket Wins IL Derby Like a Pro
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Hootenanny Successful in Season Debut
- Bodhisattva Gets Classic Credential in Tesio
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- Taketheodds, Russell Road Win at Charles Town
- Dortmund Records Bullet Work at Santa Anita