Gary and Mary West have sold their grade II winner Baptize to Rodolfo Lamperti for stallion duty in Spain.
Ten of the best three-year-old turf fillies in the world will contest the 18th running of the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth Challenge Cup (gr. I) to be run Saturday at Keeneland.
Virginia-bred Navesink, a close-up fifth in the Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT) when last out, earned his second career graded stakes win in Sunday's $200,000 Jamaica Handicap (gr. IIIT) on yielding turf at Belmont Park.
Baptize hasn't seen a patch of grass from Texas to New York he doesn't like. The 3-year-old took his winning ways to Saratoga and a late surge put him in the winner's circle Monday after the National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Handicap (gr. IIT).
The veteran, Baptize, beats the newcomer, Indygo Shiner, in the Arlington Classic.
Kept close to a moderate pace by jockey Mark Guidry, Baptize rallied while three wide en route to a 2 1/4-length victory over Indygo Shiner in Saturday's $200,000 Arlington Classic (gr. IIT) at Arlington Park.
In a thrilling finish, Strategic Partner just got past Baptize, and then withstood an objection to win the $100,000 Crown Royal American Turf (gr. III) Friday at Churchill Downs.
Two sons of Dynaformer battled in the stretch of Keeneland's first spring stakes race, but it was Baptize who prevailed at the wire.
Volponi earned his first career win Sunday at Belmont Park, upsetting formerly undefeated 4-5 favorite Baptize in the $113,300 Pilgrim Stakes (gr. IIIT).
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Cuddle Alert Gives Sire Bedford Falls First Stakes Win
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa