Glencrest Farm's Honey Ryder enjoyed an ideal trip behind a slow early pace and held off rallying favorite Film Maker to score a neck victory in the $109,200 Glens Falls Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on closing day Monday at Saratoga Race Course.
Film Maker, a narrow loser in last year's Glens Falls Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at 1 3/8 miles on the grass, returns for a second try in the $100,000-added event Monday as Saratoga closes its 135th meet.
German-bred Binya, who captured last year's The Very One Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream Park, will be toting high weight of 118 pounds against 10 rivals in Saturday's Suwannee River Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream.
Spice Island surged past favored Volga in the final 150 yards to capture the $150,000 Long Island Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 1/2 miles for fillies and mares on a yielding Aqueduct turf Saturday.
Five years after riding her last race in New York, Julie Krone – the most successful female jockey of all time – returns to the Big Apple on Saturday to pilot Team Valor Stables' Banyu Dewi in the $150,000 Long Island Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Aqueduct turf.
Bits and pieces from around the industry...
Most Popular Stories
- Los Alamitos Schedules California Chrome Day
- Keeneland to Handle VinMar Dispersal
- Review: Spa Surface Not Factor in Fatalities
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- PA-Breds, Cathryn Sophia Head Parx Program
- Aftercare: The Challenges of Tracking Horses
- BH 100: Rapping at Derby's Door
- Rich Tapestry's Korea Sprint Start in Doubt
- Barretts Select Yearling Sale Stays Even
- Baffert Reflects on Arrogate's Travers Romp