Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I)-winning owner and breeder James Tafel died June 25 at his home at the Village of Golf, Fla. He was 90.
Thoroughbred breeder James Tafel, who bred and raced Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Street Sense, will disperse his breeding stock during the Keeneland November breeding stock sale Nov. 6-16 in Lexington.
A Distorted Humor colt from the family of champion Banshee Breeze commanded a price of $500,000 to lead the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga yearling sale in the early stages Aug. 6.
Trainer Carl Nafzger will be honored for his overall contributions to Thoroughbred racing when Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners (KTO) presents the two-time winner of the Kentucky Derby with the 2007 "Warner L. Jones Jr. Horseman of the Year Award."
The Thoroughbred Corp. will offer the majority of the mares it owns in the Keeneland November breeding stock sale.
Grade I winner Nonsuch Bay is among the entrants for Friday's Banshee Breeze Handicap at Gulfstream Park.
Grade I winner Jostle was retired following a third-place finish in the April 5 Banshee Breeze Handicap at Gulfstream Park and was bred April 23 to Storm Cat.
Winstar Farm's Jostle and Lee Lewis' Mystic Lady, a pair of graded stakes winners both making their first starts of the year, top a field of seven in the inaugural running of the $75,000 Banshee Breeze Handicap at Gulfstream Park April 5.
Eclipse Award winner Banshee Breeze and her newborn Storm Cat colt died April 11 at Hagyard-Davidson-McGee veterinary clinic near Lexington. Boarded at Claiborne Farm near Paris, Ky., Banshee Breeze was taken to the clinic April 8 with a torsion of the uterus. She underwent surgery that afternoon, and additional surgery the following day. The colt, born 19 days premature, was delivered by way of a Caesarean section the second day. The condition of both mare and foal deteriorated, and Banshee Breeze was euthanized two days later. The colt died shortly after.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- The Big Beast Gets a Florida-Bred Colt as First Foal