Shirocco made many believers in the States last fall with his impressive win in the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. But after the 5-year-old Andre Fabre trainee's easy win in his first race of the 2006 season, the Jockey Club Stakes (Eng-II) at Newmarket Sunday, it is possible that he could be the next big thing in European racing.
Favored Alkaased confidently won Sunday's Jockey Club Stakes (Eng-II) by 1 1/2 lengths over Gamut while gearing down at the end of the 1 1/2-mile event at Newmarket .
Jockey Richard Quinn brought Indian Creek from last to get up in the final 100 yards of Saturday's Hardwicke Stakes (Eng-II) at Royal Ascot.
Bandari, trained by Mark Johnston for Sheikh Hamdan al Maktoum, will be bidding to become the first winner of the Rothmans Royals St Leger for 29 years trained in that county -- since Peleid in 1973 -- when he takes on nine rivals in the final classic of the British season at Doncaster Saturday.
Nayef gets the best of Golan, this time at York's Ebor meeting
Fight Your Corner, winner of the Chester Vase, will run in the Vodafone Epsom Derby. Sheikh Mohammed, who bought the colt to race in the colors of his son, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed al Maktoum, made the decision to pay a £90,000 supplementary fee after consulting with Sheikh Hamdan and trainer Mark Johnston.
Most Popular Stories
- Silver Returns to New York Racing Association
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Turfway Cancels Card Because of Weather
- Rise Up Scores for Late Sire Rockport Harbor
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Equine Sector Helps Boost KY Ag Receipts
- Chasing Landaluce
- BloodHorse Horizontal Navigation: Sales
- General Quarters Moves to Crestwood Farm