Trainer Rudy Rodriguez was handed a 25-day suspension and was fined $2,500 after two of his horses tested positive for the therapeutic drug flunixin, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug also known as Banamine.
The New York State Gaming Commission has sanctioned trainer Bill Mott for a pair of medication overages in a single horse last fall, a decision the Racing Hall of Fame conditioner is appealing.
A council that makes recommendations on medication policies for the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission will go along with several changes in withdrawal times and threshold levels.
Saying the current withdrawal time on the books for flunixin (Banamine) could leave New York horsemen and veterinarians vulnerable to positive tests, the NYTHA is recommending extending the time by an additional eight hours.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission license review committee April 16 recommended Rudy Rodriguez conditionally be approved for a license in the state. Rodriguez will be required to maintain 24-hour sureveillance.
New York state regulators have imposed a 20-day suspension and $7,500 fine on top Aqueduct Racetrack trainer Rudy Rodriguez after flunixin was found in his horses at two separate races last year.
Lower thresholds for the pain reliever phenylbutazone, commonly known as Bute, in post-race tests of horses could be on the way in California in spite of objections from horsemen.
Tests conducted on juveniles that participated in under-tack shows prior to the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s March select auction did not detect any performance enhancing-drugs, but therapeutic medications were found in blood samples from three horses whose consignors had not reported the treatments, said Tom Ventura, general manager and director of sales for OBS.
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint
- Fasig-Tipton Horses of Racing Age Sale Offers Diversity