Bill Sorokolit's Sky Conqueror rallied to get the lead a furlong from home, then rolled to 1 1/2-length victory, making it back-to-back wins in the CAN$698,200 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Turf (Can-II) Sunday on the Woodbine turf.
Defending champion Sky Conqueror heads a well-matched field of eight turf specialists Sunday in the $700,000 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Turf (Can-II) at Woodbine.
On a rainy day in Toronto, Sky Conqueror rallied stoutly down the stretch to catch the pacesetting Last Answer and capture the inaugural edition of the $615,653 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Turf (Can-II) by a half-length at Woodbine on Sunday.
Sky Conqueror was last at the top of the stretch but first under the wire to record a mild upset in Monday's King Edward Breeders' Cup Stakes (Can-II) at Woodbine.
Comebacking Sky Conqueror is one of seven locals who will defend the E.P. Taylor Turf Course against two American invaders in Sunday's $150,000 Connaught Cup (Can-III), the first turf stakes race of the season at Woodbine.
Woodbine's leading rider, Emma-Jayne Wilson, celebrated the first stakes victory of her career, guiding 7-1 shot Classic Stamp to a successful title defense in the 1 1/8-mile $316,536 Bell Canadian Stakes (Can-II) for fillies and mares.
Emma-Jayne Wilson, Woodbine's leading rider, teams with a familiar partner, Classic Stamp, in the $336,000 Bell Canadian Stakes (Can-II), one of two undercard features on Sunday's Atto Mile (Can-I) program at the Toronto oval.
Most Popular Stories
- Tapit, War Front Dominate Keeneland Sale
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby