California shipper Maryfield certainly shines in New York. Returning to the Empire State for the first time since she captured Aqueduct's Distaff Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for trainer Doug O'Neill in March, the late-charging 6-year-old mare won a desperate head bob at odds of 16-1 to nose an unlucky Baroness Thatcher at the wire of the $250,000 Ballerina Breeders' Cup (gr. I) at Saratoga Aug. 26.
Dubai-based Darley Stable completed its domination at Saratoga Race Course this weekend when favored Dubai Escapade demolished the field in the $240,000 Ballerina Breeders' Cup (gr. I) for fillies and mares Sunday.
With some fast horses and a little luck, Sunday's $250,000 Ballerina Breeders' Cup (gr. I) may cap an embarrassment of riches weekend for Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's Darley Stables.
This year's BC Cup will runneth over with more than $400,000 in total purses as part of the 2006 stakes schedule at Hastings Racecourse.
Hastings Park opens its 71-day live season April 17. The track has scheduled two more live racing days than last season and purses have increased nearly 15% over last year.
Most Popular Stories
- Princess Violet Tops Ruffian Stakes Entrants
- Pletcher Considers Preakness Stakes Options
- Wolf Man Rocket Ships in for Peter Pan Stakes
- Beholder, Warren's Veneda Face Off in Vanity
- Uspurned Seeks Repeat Performance in Hendrie
- Hardest Core in Man o' War vs. Imagining
- NYRA to Cap Belmont Attendance at 90,000
- Keeneland Simulcast Operations to Red Mile
- MarketWatch: Jamie Hill on Sires, Pinhooking
- Powers, Billy Kelly Selected for Hall of Fame