Eight evenly-matched older fillies and mares seek their first graded stakes victory of the season, as they face off in the $150,000 Arlington Matron Handicap (gr. III) on Memorial Day.
The rail opened up for favored Nashoba's Key at the top of the stretch and the undefeated filly kicked through to defeat a determined Balance by three-quarters of a length in the $294,000 Vanity Handicap (gr. I) for her first grade I stakes win Saturday at Hollywood Park.
The multiple grade I winner Balance, well beaten by undefeated California bred Nashoba's Key when they met a month ago, will get another chance against her rival in Saturday's $300,000 Vanity Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at Hollywood Park.
Undefeated Nashoba's Key stepped into some high caliber company for Sunday's $186,100 Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) and came away with a convincing win over grade I winners Hystericalady and Balance on the Hollywood Park all-weather track.
Balance, perfect in two starts this year and a winner of six of 11 lifetime starts, heads a field of seven fillies and mares in Sunday's $175,000 Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park.
Coming off a sixth-place finish in last month's Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I), the Brazilian-bred River Savage bounded away from the 13-10 favorite Cantabria in the stretch for a two-length upset win the $107,300 Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the Hollywood Park Cushion Track Sunday.
Seafree, hampered by a poor start in her last start, will try to make amends in Sunday's $100,000 Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the Cushion Track at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill
- Runhappy Faces Five in Ack Ack
- Beholder, Stellar Wind Renew Rivalry
- Colonel John Sold, to Stand in Korea in 2017
- Flintshire Rolls Into Joe Hirsch Turf Classic
- Snowden Death Investigation 'Inactive'
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Air Force Blue Retired to Ashford Stud