Eight evenly-matched older fillies and mares seek their first graded stakes victory of the season, as they face off in the $150,000 Arlington Matron Handicap (gr. III) on Memorial Day.
The rail opened up for favored Nashoba's Key at the top of the stretch and the undefeated filly kicked through to defeat a determined Balance by three-quarters of a length in the $294,000 Vanity Handicap (gr. I) for her first grade I stakes win Saturday at Hollywood Park.
The multiple grade I winner Balance, well beaten by undefeated California bred Nashoba's Key when they met a month ago, will get another chance against her rival in Saturday's $300,000 Vanity Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at Hollywood Park.
Undefeated Nashoba's Key stepped into some high caliber company for Sunday's $186,100 Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) and came away with a convincing win over grade I winners Hystericalady and Balance on the Hollywood Park all-weather track.
Balance, perfect in two starts this year and a winner of six of 11 lifetime starts, heads a field of seven fillies and mares in Sunday's $175,000 Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park.
Coming off a sixth-place finish in last month's Apple Blossom Handicap (gr. I), the Brazilian-bred River Savage bounded away from the 13-10 favorite Cantabria in the stretch for a two-length upset win the $107,300 Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the Hollywood Park Cushion Track Sunday.
Seafree, hampered by a poor start in her last start, will try to make amends in Sunday's $100,000 Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the Cushion Track at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Vale Dori Impressive in Bayakoa Victory
- Half Dome Dude Sets Remington Track Record
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Highway Star Wins Go for Wand by a Nose
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded
- King and His Court Claims Display Stakes