If Meteor Storm is to successfully defend his title in Sunday's $200,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 ½ miles on turf, he will have to catch front-runner Star Over The Bay.
The connections for Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) upsetter Better Talk Now are gambling that a victory in Hollywood Park's $250,000 Hollywood Turf Cup (gr. IT) Saturday will be enough to secure an Eclipse Award as the year's North American male turf champion.
Six-year-old British-bred Needwood Blade, the longest shot on the board at 11-1, won his first American race in seven starts by taking the $112,500 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) in a surprise Saturday on the turf at Bay Meadows.
Michael Tabor's longshot Balestrini set the pace and held on to win the Group 3 PW McGrath Memorial Ballsax Stakes by a half-length Sunday at Leopardstown.
Most Popular Stories
- Casse Cues Up Sam F. Davis Wildcard
- 'Conversation' Back in NorCal for El Camino
- Legends: Rachel Alexandra, Filly for the Ages
- Birdatthewire Heads Santa Maria Field
- Taking Shergar
- Sandiva Tries Dirt in Royal Delta
- Rafting Set for 2016 Debut in Sam F. Davis
- Young Turf Trio Tries Obviously in Arcadia
- Dominguez Ruled Eligible for Hall of Fame
- Tepin Set for Season Debut in Endeavour