The Usual Q. T., on a six-race winning streak on grass, will stay home for the $500,000 Sunshine Millions Classic, even though it means switching to Santa Anita's Pro-Ride main track Jan. 30.
Racing in graded stakes company for the first time since disappointing in the Gotham (gr. III) this spring, Haynesfield looked like a completely different 3-year-old this time around, as he took over approaching the quarter-pole and easily repelled odds-on favorite Gone Astray to win the $103,500 Discovery Handicap (gr. III) by 4 1/2 lengths Nov. 21 at Aqueduct.
Trainer Steve Asmussen now believes Haynesfield is ready for another try against graded company, and has entered him in the $100,000-added Discovery Handicap (gr. III) for 3-year-olds going nine furlongs at Aqueduct. A field of six was drawn for the program feature.
Most Popular Stories
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Epicharis Earns Japan Kentucky Derby Bid
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista
- High Ridge Road Closes to Win Barbara Fritchie
- Miss Temple City, Lady Eli Put in First Works of 2017
- Imperial Hint Makes the Grade in General George