The Race Track Chaplaincy of America will recognize a new category of supporters in 2012 by establishing the 40th Anniversary Society.
United Tote and The Race Track Chaplaincy of America will host the "United Tote Backstretch Bonanza," a special event for backstretch workers, at Belmont Park Oct. 25 during the week of the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships.
The Horse Farm Workers' Educational Assistance Fund has awarded 40 annual scholarships for the 2004-2005 school year to children of full-time workers on central Kentucky Thoroughbred breeding farms.
By Tom Molloy -- With VLT revenue resulting in even higher purses, it would seem to strengthen a case for an open dialogue to discuss a re-negotiation of fees with an emphasis on formally directing a fair portion to the grooms, hotwalkers, and others.
California Gov. Gray Davis signed Assembly Bill 471 into law on Aug. 13, authorizing advance deposit wagering and including provisions that will allow backstretch workers to organize for collective bargaining purposes.
Introduced by Assemblyman Herb Wesson, AB856 establishes guidelines for unionizing backstretch workers and mandates better living and working conditions at the state's racetracks and training facilities. Wesson, who chairs the Assembly's Governmental Organization committee, brought the bill before that panel for its first public hearing. The bill passed on to the Assembly's Labor Committee.
Legislation that would legalize telephone account wagering and reform backstretch conditions at California racetracks received final passage Thursday and has been sent to the governor for his signature.
The Kentucky Racing Health and Welfare Fund, the Kentucky HBPA, and the KTA have announced the formation of the Kentucky Race Track Retirement Plan.
Most Popular Stories
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- Distinctiv Passion Rockets to Midnight Lute
- Ghost Bay Breaks Maiden in Maryland Juvenile