Baby Zip, the 2005 Broodmare of the Year and dam of grade 1 winners and sires City Zip and Ghostzapper, was euthanized at age 26 due to complications from laminitis, Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Kentucky announced April 20.
The biggest surprises for City Zip offspring may be the improvement of most of his runners with maturity and the affinity many seem to have for turf.
City Wolf, a half brother to top North American sires Ghostzapper and City Zip, has joined the rapidly-growing stallion roster at Pleasant Acres Stallions in Morriston, Fla., near Ocala, Joe and Helen Barbazon announced.
City Wolf, making his stakes debut, shook loose of his rivals at the head of the stretch to register his fourth consecutive victory for trainer Reade Baker in the $144,589 Durham Cup (Can-III) at Woodbine Oct. 2.
J. Robert Harris Jr., breeder/owner of 2005 Kentucky Broodmare of the Year Baby Zip, died Jan. 1 at age 91.
The Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders has named Saint Liam as the state-bred Horse of the Year and Baby Zip as Broodmare of the Year.
City Zip, a half-brother to Breeders' Cup Classic – Powered by Doge (gr. I) winner Ghostzapper, is being moved for the 2005 breeding season to Will Farish's Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Most Popular Stories
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Hips to Watch: Day 1 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Soul Stirring Frankel's First Classic Winner
- Preakness Wrapup: Clouds Got in the Way
- La Coronel Prepares for Royal Ascot Run
- Actress Announces Presence in Black-Eyed Susan
- Grizzel Edges Enstone in Selene Stakes