Awad and Little Bold John are the newest inductees into the Maryland-bred Thoroughbred Hall of Fame.
- By Esther Marr
Esther Marr updates the status of Noor's remains, and remembers Awad. read blog
Millionaire and four-time grade I winner Awad died July 23 at Old Friends in Georgetown, Ky. The 21-year-old horse was discovered early in the morning in his paddock, dead from an apparent heart attack.
Rank these past winners of the Arlington Million. Compare your rankings to the rest of the BloodHorse.com community. Rank These Horses
Eddie Maple, who retired as a jockey 11 years ago, doesn't have a lot of time to sit and reminisce. He and his wife, Kate, are always on the go, managing two bustling equestrian centers on plantations in Bluffton, S.C., which is located near the popular Hilton Head Island beach resort.
By John Angelo - My call once again to distant post times began this past September when I heard from Michael Blowen, director of Old Friends, that Kiri's Clown and Awad would soon join the farm's other Thoroughbred retirees.
Taylor's Special, who won the 1984 Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) and earned more than $1 million, was euthanized Sept. 19 at Old Friends near Midway, Ky.
Millionaire and grade I winner Awad, one of the top turf runners in the 1990s, has been relocated to John Giangiulio's Castle Rock Farm near Unionville, Pa.
Aqueduct has attracted full fields for a pair of juvenile turf stakes Sunday, the Pilgrim for colts and the Miss Grillo for fillies, both contested at nine furlongs.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Nomorerichblondes Leads Home KY Breds in Meydan
- Hong Kong Stars to Battle on Sunday at Sha Tin