Grade I winner and deceased freshman sire Brilliant Speed, who was killed by lightning in his paddock at Three Chimneys Farm last month, was represented by his first winner Aug. 5 when Fly won the second race at Laurel Park in her debut.
A stumble out of the gate may have been a blessing in disguise for D. P. Racing's Yahilwa in the $150,000 Sixty Sails Handicap (gr. III) April 18 at Hawthorne Racecourse.
Buckleupbuttercup got up in the final strides to win the $167,400 Chilukki Stakes (gr. II) by a head over May Day Rose to complete the Breeders' Cup World Championships day card Nov. 5 at Churchill Downs.
Custom for Carlos, the 5-2 morning-line favorite in the True North Handicap (gr. II) June 5, was apparently injured in his stall overnight, according to his trainer, and has been scratched.
Buckleupbuttercup, never off the board in six previous starts, earned her first stakes victory in her first attempt when taking the $100,000 Eight Belles Stakes (gr. III) over a sloppy Churchill Downs track May 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Texas Chrome Named Texas Horse of the Year
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Cathryn Sophia Voted Top Midlantic-Bred for 2016
- OBS Championship Stakes Fields Set