A stumble out of the gate may have been a blessing in disguise for D. P. Racing's Yahilwa in the $150,000 Sixty Sails Handicap (gr. III) April 18 at Hawthorne Racecourse.
Buckleupbuttercup got up in the final strides to win the $167,400 Chilukki Stakes (gr. II) by a head over May Day Rose to complete the Breeders' Cup World Championships day card Nov. 5 at Churchill Downs.
Custom for Carlos, the 5-2 morning-line favorite in the True North Handicap (gr. II) June 5, was apparently injured in his stall overnight, according to his trainer, and has been scratched.
Buckleupbuttercup, never off the board in six previous starts, earned her first stakes victory in her first attempt when taking the $100,000 Eight Belles Stakes (gr. III) over a sloppy Churchill Downs track May 1.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Gallops at Churchill
- Espinoza: TC Pursuit 'Different This Time'
- Frosted Scheduled for Belmont Stakes Run
- MarketWatch: American Pharoah's Stud Value
- Golden Eagle Partial Dispersal at Barretts
- Five Palms Making Stakes Debut in Los Angeles
- American Pharoah to Stand at Ashford Stud
- Love Me Only's First Foal a Stakes Winner
- Pletcher Horses Top Belmont Work Tab
- Frosted Continues Working Toward Belmont