Giant Ryan stole the show at the New York Thoroughbred Breeders' annual awards banquet April 2, winning top honors as 2011 New York-bred Horse of the Year, champion older male, and champion male sprinter.
Undaunted by Turbulent Descent's defeat as the odds-on choice in the Acorn Stakes (gr. I), Southern California trainer Mike Puype returns to New York to try his filly in the $250,000 Test Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Aug. 6.
Under a patient and rail-skimming ride from Luis Saez, Hot Summer took over in upper stretch and bounded home for her first black-type win in the $150,000 Comely Stakes (gr. III) April 9 at Aqueduct.
A pair of out of town stakes winners--J J's Lucky Train and Smoke It Right--lead a field of eight 3-year-old sprinters in the $200,000 Bay Shore Handicap (gr. III) April 9 at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3
- Take Charge Brandi Takes Down Delta Princess
- Honor Code Inhales Allowance Foes in Return
- Three Hearts Breaks Through in Red Carpet
- Sunbean in Hand for Easy Delta Mile Victory
- Sinatra Leaving Parx to Take MJC Position
- Lubash Looks Like a Million in Tropical Turf
- Del Mar Employee Honored for Heroic Action
- Mahoning Valley Opens Inaugural Meet Nov. 24
- Cardinal Handicap Falls to Strike Charmer