Giant Ryan stole the show at the New York Thoroughbred Breeders' annual awards banquet April 2, winning top honors as 2011 New York-bred Horse of the Year, champion older male, and champion male sprinter.
Undaunted by Turbulent Descent's defeat as the odds-on choice in the Acorn Stakes (gr. I), Southern California trainer Mike Puype returns to New York to try his filly in the $250,000 Test Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Aug. 6.
Under a patient and rail-skimming ride from Luis Saez, Hot Summer took over in upper stretch and bounded home for her first black-type win in the $150,000 Comely Stakes (gr. III) April 9 at Aqueduct.
A pair of out of town stakes winners--J J's Lucky Train and Smoke It Right--lead a field of eight 3-year-old sprinters in the $200,000 Bay Shore Handicap (gr. III) April 9 at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- What's Going On Here: Beyond Imagination
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Kentucky Horse Park to Celebrate Man 'o War
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Downs at Albuquerque Releases 2017 Stakes Schedule