Giant Ryan stole the show at the New York Thoroughbred Breeders' annual awards banquet April 2, winning top honors as 2011 New York-bred Horse of the Year, champion older male, and champion male sprinter.
Undaunted by Turbulent Descent's defeat as the odds-on choice in the Acorn Stakes (gr. I), Southern California trainer Mike Puype returns to New York to try his filly in the $250,000 Test Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Aug. 6.
Under a patient and rail-skimming ride from Luis Saez, Hot Summer took over in upper stretch and bounded home for her first black-type win in the $150,000 Comely Stakes (gr. III) April 9 at Aqueduct.
A pair of out of town stakes winners--J J's Lucky Train and Smoke It Right--lead a field of eight 3-year-old sprinters in the $200,000 Bay Shore Handicap (gr. III) April 9 at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Don't Tell Sophia Back at Oaklawn for 2015
- Handsome Mike to Stand at Pleasant Acres
- New Purse Payout for Charles Town Classic
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Qatar Sponsorship Boosts Goodwood Purses
- Scholarship Named in Honor of Thornbury
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Awesome Baby Heads Speedy Field in La Brea