Giant Ryan stole the show at the New York Thoroughbred Breeders' annual awards banquet April 2, winning top honors as 2011 New York-bred Horse of the Year, champion older male, and champion male sprinter.
Undaunted by Turbulent Descent's defeat as the odds-on choice in the Acorn Stakes (gr. I), Southern California trainer Mike Puype returns to New York to try his filly in the $250,000 Test Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Aug. 6.
Under a patient and rail-skimming ride from Luis Saez, Hot Summer took over in upper stretch and bounded home for her first black-type win in the $150,000 Comely Stakes (gr. III) April 9 at Aqueduct.
A pair of out of town stakes winners--J J's Lucky Train and Smoke It Right--lead a field of eight 3-year-old sprinters in the $200,000 Bay Shore Handicap (gr. III) April 9 at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings
- Fasig-Tipton Kentucky: July 2014 Sale Preview
- The Thoroughbred Racehorse Foot
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris