Winx, Australia's reigning queen of the turf, came from near last and won the Aus$3 million Doncaster Mile (Aus-I) in sensational style April 2 at Royal Randwick.
While Black Caviar's 25th win in the T. J. Smith Stakes (Aus-I) stole the spotlight April 13 at Royal Randwick, fans saw two other superlative performances in group I stakes on the card from It's a Dundeel and filly Guelph.
On a rain swept Randwick oval April 7, Fiumicino won the Australian Derby (Aus-I) April 7 to make Zabeel the only stallion to sire four winners of the prestigious race.
Of the dozen aspirants for the Australian Derby (Aus-I) to prep in the Rosehill Guineas (Aus-I) on March 24, the pair least likely on breeding were the first two home.
That the best horse won is a statement most would like to see made more often. The capricious nature of racing, however, is the natural enemy of order. Yet it happened in Sydney on April 14, when Universal Prince pulverized his rivals in the $2 million (Australian funds; $1,018,400 U.S.) Australian Derby (Aust-I).
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale