Vinery's Australian broodmare dispersal netted owner Dr. Tom Simon $14,686,500, but it seemed to raise more questions than answers. Are they pulling out of Australia by doing this?
The Australian broodmare sale ended at Newmarket Thursday with a gross of Aus$18,678,650 and an average price of Aus$40,169 for the 465 horses sold.
The opening session of the Australian broodmare sale kicked off at Newmarket Tuesday, with 170 horses selling for a gross of Aus$9,957,500 and an average price of Aus$58,574.
Balletomane, the dam of Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner Silic, sold for $750,000 (approximately $404,625 in U.S. funds) Tuesday during the second session of the William Inglis & Son Australian broodmare sale. She shared the honors for the session's top price with the Sir Tristram mare Fly the Flag.
Brisk trade and beautiful autumn weather combined to make the opening session of the Australian broodmare sale a great success.
Most Popular Stories
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt Leads MM Weanling Session
- American Pharoah Gallops Again at Churchill
- Pleascach Wins Irish One Thousand Guineas
- Milestone 5,000th Win for Jockey Bravo
- Frammento 'Developing Nicely' for Belmont
- Texas Air Seeks Upset in Lone Star 'Cap
- Undefeated Promise Me Silver Aiming for Acorn
- Firing Line Returns to Track at Santa Anita
- Frosted Scheduled for Belmont Stakes Run
- Trujillo to Move Tack to Monmouth Park