Barclay Tagg could become the first trainer to win consecutive editions of the Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) since it was switched to the turf in 1981 when he saddles likely favorite Nobiz Like Shobiz for the 10-furlong test Nov. 25 at the Inglewood, Calif., track.
Improvement has come quickly for Augment, especially since trainer Paddy Gallagher switched him to the turf this summer, including a surprising second-place finish in the Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) last time out. The Aptitude gelding is sure to attract more attention in the $150,000 Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT) on the Santa Anita lawn Oct. 13.
Respect has been hard to come by for the lightly bred Medici Code, but after the way the Darrell Vienna-trained gelding mowed down his rivals in the $400,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Sept. 2, that should change.
With no standout apparent in the 3-year-old turf division in Southern California this summer, trainer Julio Canani could well hold the trump card in the $400,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Sept. 2 with the French import Stoneside.
Tiago, winner of the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and third in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I), heads a field of six in Saturday's $350,000 Swaps Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Stopchargingmaria Will Be Offered at F-T Sale
- Research Produces Cobalt Test Recommendation
- Renovations Noted at 'Gulfstream Park West'
- The Week in Photos for 9/30/2014
- TOBA September Member of the Month
- Santa Anita Can't Hurt Shared Belief
- Slideshow: Champions Challenge of Brazil
- Plan in Works to Save Suffolk Downs Racing
- Live Chat - Friday, October 3 at NOON EST
- Espinoza Suspended for Awesome Again Ride