Grade I winner and classic-placed Bodemeister was crowned Virginia-bred Horse of the Year and 2012 champion Virginia-bred 3-year-old colt when annual awards were presented July 6 at Colonial Downs.
Virginia racing industry leaders Anne Poulson, Ernie Oare, and Dr. Jens von Lepel resigned from the Virginia Thoroughbred Association board June 28 over the controversial firing of former executive director Glenn Petty.
Graded stakes winner Snow Top Mountain brought an impressive price of $950,000 from Audley Farm during the second session of the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale Jan. 8.
About 90 minutes into the Sept. 10 first session of the Keeneland September yearling sale, the action really picked up with two seven-figure horses selling in short succession.
Bodemeister, who thrilled race fans with his speed while placing in both the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) has been retired. He will enter stud at WinStar Farm.
Arkansas Derby (gr. I) winner and Triple Crown nominee Bodemeister was foaled and raised at Audley Farm near Berryville, Va.
Bodemeister, needing a victory in the Arkansas Derby (gr. I) to take the next step on the Triple Crown trail, produced an emphatic triumph in the $1 million race at Oaklawn Park April 14.
Buyers were anxious to see the members of the first crops by Giant's Causeway and Fusaichi Pegasus. At the Keeneland November sale on Wednesday, it was a mare carrying a member of the second crop by Giant's Causeway that topped the auction's third day.
Mandy's Gold made it four in a row when she won The Honorable Miss Handicap (gr. III) wire-to-wire on a sloppy Saratoga track Friday.
A Go for Gin colt brought the top price of $315,000 during the second session of the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Eastern fall yearling sale on Tuesday in Maryland.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Agree to Deal to Keep Track Open
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees