Live Oak Plantation's homebred Can't Beat It came from 10th after a half-mile under Eddie Castro to win the $100,000 Pete Axthelm Stakes for 3-year-olds by two lengths on the Calder Race Course lawn Saturday.
Live Oak Plantation's favored Can't Beat It made easy work of his rivals in the $200,000 Calder Derby (gr. III) for 3-year-olds, capturing the 1 1/8-mile grass race by 3 ¼ lengths in 1:48.39 over a course rated good.
Tampa shippers Atticus Kristy and Around the Cape ran one-two in the $115,000 Shakertown (gr. IIIT) on the Keeneland turf Friday.
High Fly was injured at Belmont Park Saturday morning and will miss the Oct. 29 Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships. He was to have started in the TVG Sprint (gr. I).
Blanked with his 16 previous starters, trainer Nick Zito finally won the Florida Derby (gr. I) when his heavily favored High Fly rolled to a confident victory for Jerry Bailey Saturday at Gulfstream Park.
Live Oak Plantation's undefeated High Fly overtook Magna Graduate coming off the turn and put in an explosive stretch run to win the $125,000 Aventura Stakes for 3-year-olds by nine widening lengths.
Atticus, a 12-year-old son of Nureyev who has sired three stakes winners, has been purchased by Suarez Racing and will stand in 2005 at Rich and Gaby Sulpizio's Magali Farms near Santa Ynez, Calif.
Millionaire and world-record setter Atticus has been purchased by Suarez Racing and will stand the 2005 season at Magali Farms near Santa Ynez, Calif.
Grade I winners Atticus and Devious Course were represented by their first winners.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Podcast: Bob Baffert and the Breeders' Cup
- Kentucky Regulator Approves 2015 Race Dates
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- Raffetto Joins New England HPBA Effort
- Trainer D'Amato's Success Long Time in Coming
- CT Classic Could Move to Afternoon in 2015
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- Fawkner, Adelaide Among Cox Plate Favorites
- Foreign Policy to Stand at River Oaks Farms