Sam Houston Race Park ended its 2000-01 meet with a 12.6% decrease in average daily attendance, an 11.2% drop in average daily handle, and an 8.4% decrease in the all-sources handle.
The New York Racing Association saw decreases in the combined on-track handle, attendance, and total handle for Aqueduct, Belmont Park, and Saratoga.
Prairie Meadows' mixed and Thoroughbred meets suffered large decreases in handle and attendance.
Arlington International Racecourse reported a significant increase in handle and solid attendance following its 103-day meet. Total handle from all sources increased 10.7% to $333,177,106, up from a total handle of $300.9 million reported in 1997, which is when Arlington last ran a live meet. Last year, Arlington's dates were run at Hawthorne Race Course.
Steady rain forced Laurel Park to cancel 56 turf races during its summer meet and was also cited for a 5% drop in total handle and a 4% decline in attendance.
Most Popular Stories
- Two IL Tracks File for Bankruptcy Protection
- British Racing Undertakes Education Program
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos