Eight maiden races worth $100,000 each will be offered this spring as part of the New York Racing Association's ongoing program for 2-year-olds leading up to the Astoria and Tremont, run June 8 and 9 as the first two juvenile stakes of the year.
A son of Trippi, out of the Storm Bird mare Pocket Beauty, Trippi's Storm captured the Kelso Handicap (gr. IIT) Sept. 29 at Belmont, paving his way to the $2-million NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT).
My Mammy, a runaway Delaware maiden winner in her first and only start, gets tested for class Sunday in the 101st edition of the Astoria for 2-year-old fillies at Belmont Park. Juvenile colts are also in the spotlight with the 115th running of the Tremont.
Desire to Excel, making her first start since breaking her maiden at first asking back in April, blew away her six rival 2-year-old fillies Sunday to win the $109,500 Astoria by five lengths.
Remarkable News, a 4-year-old Venezuelan-bred trained by Angel Penna Jr., seeks his second stakes win in the $100,000 Poker Handicap (gr. III) Sunday on the turf at Belmont Park.
Favored Adieu dueled with Folklore from the break and drew away for a 1 ¼-length victory Sunday afternoon in the $109,500 Astoria for 2-year-old fillies at 5 1/2 furlongs at Belmont Park.
Damascus Third in Haskell at 3-5 Odds; Dearly Precious Posts Fifth Straight Win
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- Z Capital Partners Purchases Parent Company of DRF
- Stakes Winners Featured in Del Mar Paddock Sale
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- San Pablo's First Winner Scores at Finger Lakes
- Anthony's Cross Gets First Winner in Indiana
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes