Talks have stalled over returning control of the New York Racing Association to private hands after a four-year period in which appointees of Gov. Andrew Cuomo have dominated the not-for-profit corporation's board of directors.
An eight-acre parcel of land on the grounds of Belmont Park is no longer being offered to private developers, a move that is raising concerns in some circles that the state may be eyeing the site for a VLT casino.
Three New York legislative panels are seeking answers to the impact the daily fantasy sports industry is having on other sectors of the gambling industry, including horse racing and the state's own lottery system.
New York off-tracking betting corporations will be permitted to dip into their capital funds to help pay for operating expenses under legislation given recent final approval by the New York lawmakers.
First passed as a temporary surcharge in 2007, legislation has been signed into law again authorizing the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association to receive 2% of purse proceeds at New York Racing Association tracks.
New York government would involve itself in the inspection and accreditation of facilities for retired racehorses, but one legislator believes the industry should devise such a program and decide how it would be funded.
An effort to bail out New York City Off-Track Betting Corp. collapsed April 14, leaving uncertainty over whether the betting giant will have to close its doors the weekend of April 17.
The state of New York should abandon efforts to find new bidders to develop a video lottery terminal casino at Aqueduct and instead tap the New York Racing Association to run the long-delayed facility, a leading state lawmaker believes.
Most Popular Stories
- Sheikh Mohammed 'Definitely' Plans to Hike DWC Purse
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Dortmund Looks to Regain Form in Santana Mile
- Suffolk Downs Sale Approved by Gaming Commission
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Taghleeb Looks For Third Straight Win in Pan American
- Churchill Downs Inc. Rejoins NTRA
- Average Spikes at Barretts March Sale
- Look Back: Searching Finds Victory in 1956 Top Flight
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue