A pair of racetrack executives outlined plans to promote jockeys, and promote horse racing through the use of riders, at this year's Jockeys' Guild Assembly Jan. 19-20 in Hollywood, Fla.
Riders from across the U.S. plan to discuss racetrack contributions, membership, and health, safety, and insurance issues when they gather for the 2013 Jockeys' Guild Assembly in Hollywood, Fla. Jan. 28-29.
The Democratic-led Assembly and the Republican-controlled Senate in New York have approved a measure calling for a constitutional amendment that would allow up to seven casinos statewide.
The Jockeys' Guild, meeting in south Florida for its annual assembly, on Jan. 30 presented awards to Jacky Martin, Deshawn Parker, and Dave Hicks.
A proposed 2.75% state surcharge on purses on New York races was rejected by lawmakers in a last-minute round of state budget talks at the Capitol in Albany.
The Jockeys' Guild will move its annual assembly to Arizona this year, becoming part of the University of Arizona Symposium on Racing & Gaming held in Tucson each December, Guild national manager Terry Meyocks said April 6.
The New York Racing Association announced Sept. 24 the current composition of its 2008 board of directors. Ten of 11 governmental appointments to the board have been made and all 14 NYRA elected seats have been filled.
The Jockeys' Guild, which filed for bankruptcy protection Oct. 12 under chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy code, is relocating its business office to Lexington, said the organization's national manager Terry Meyocks.
Most Popular Stories
- KY Derby Winner Thunder Gulch Pensioned at 23
- Upstart is Uplifting for Joanne Nielsen
- Palace Malice Sustains Minor Foot Bruise
- Soumillon Scores Group II Double at Meydan
- 82 Supplements to F-T Winter Mixed Sale
- New Zealand Yearling Sale Continues Strong
- Upgraded Marine Gives Canada 44 Graded Stakes
- Ties Atop TJC's Experimental Free Handicaps
- Ladies 'Cap: Belle Gallantey Seeks Turnaround
- TOBA January Member of the Month