Riders from across the U.S. plan to discuss racetrack contributions, membership, and health, safety, and insurance issues when they gather for the 2013 Jockeys' Guild Assembly in Hollywood, Fla. Jan. 28-29.
The Democratic-led Assembly and the Republican-controlled Senate in New York have approved a measure calling for a constitutional amendment that would allow up to seven casinos statewide.
The Jockeys' Guild, meeting in south Florida for its annual assembly, on Jan. 30 presented awards to Jacky Martin, Deshawn Parker, and Dave Hicks.
A proposed 2.75% state surcharge on purses on New York races was rejected by lawmakers in a last-minute round of state budget talks at the Capitol in Albany.
The Jockeys' Guild will move its annual assembly to Arizona this year, becoming part of the University of Arizona Symposium on Racing & Gaming held in Tucson each December, Guild national manager Terry Meyocks said April 6.
The New York Racing Association announced Sept. 24 the current composition of its 2008 board of directors. Ten of 11 governmental appointments to the board have been made and all 14 NYRA elected seats have been filled.
The Jockeys' Guild, which filed for bankruptcy protection Oct. 12 under chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy code, is relocating its business office to Lexington, said the organization's national manager Terry Meyocks.
Most Popular Stories
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Longform: Long Live the Queen
- For Joe Rocco Jr., It's All About the Horse
- Aktabantay Knocked Out of BC Juvenile Turf
- Sire Tapit Closing in on Record Season
- Santa Anita Confident in New Dirt Surface
- Asmussen Aims to Make Untapable Feel at Home
- Top Decile Under Radar for Juvenile Fillies
- Northern Cal Trainers On Cup's Center Stage
- TimeformUS Breeders' Cup Preview: Distaff