A pair of racetrack executives outlined plans to promote jockeys, and promote horse racing through the use of riders, at this year's Jockeys' Guild Assembly Jan. 19-20 in Hollywood, Fla.
Riders from across the U.S. plan to discuss racetrack contributions, membership, and health, safety, and insurance issues when they gather for the 2013 Jockeys' Guild Assembly in Hollywood, Fla. Jan. 28-29.
The Democratic-led Assembly and the Republican-controlled Senate in New York have approved a measure calling for a constitutional amendment that would allow up to seven casinos statewide.
The Jockeys' Guild, meeting in south Florida for its annual assembly, on Jan. 30 presented awards to Jacky Martin, Deshawn Parker, and Dave Hicks.
A proposed 2.75% state surcharge on purses on New York races was rejected by lawmakers in a last-minute round of state budget talks at the Capitol in Albany.
The Jockeys' Guild will move its annual assembly to Arizona this year, becoming part of the University of Arizona Symposium on Racing & Gaming held in Tucson each December, Guild national manager Terry Meyocks said April 6.
The New York Racing Association announced Sept. 24 the current composition of its 2008 board of directors. Ten of 11 governmental appointments to the board have been made and all 14 NYRA elected seats have been filled.
The Jockeys' Guild, which filed for bankruptcy protection Oct. 12 under chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy code, is relocating its business office to Lexington, said the organization's national manager Terry Meyocks.
Most Popular Stories
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- Optimism High for Fasig-Tipton July Yearlings
- Keeneland Alters September Sale Format
- Kentucky Horsewoman Graves Dies at 61
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- Speedy Grade III Winner Chitu Retired
- ABR Releases Another Digital Video Ad
- Two 'Super Saturdays' for Belmont Fall Meet
- New York Coupled Entry Rules Modified
- BC Nomination Discount for HRA Ends July 15