Riders from across the U.S. plan to discuss racetrack contributions, membership, and health, safety, and insurance issues when they gather for the 2013 Jockeys' Guild Assembly in Hollywood, Fla. Jan. 28-29.
The Democratic-led Assembly and the Republican-controlled Senate in New York have approved a measure calling for a constitutional amendment that would allow up to seven casinos statewide.
The Jockeys' Guild, meeting in south Florida for its annual assembly, on Jan. 30 presented awards to Jacky Martin, Deshawn Parker, and Dave Hicks.
A proposed 2.75% state surcharge on purses on New York races was rejected by lawmakers in a last-minute round of state budget talks at the Capitol in Albany.
The Jockeys' Guild will move its annual assembly to Arizona this year, becoming part of the University of Arizona Symposium on Racing & Gaming held in Tucson each December, Guild national manager Terry Meyocks said April 6.
The New York Racing Association announced Sept. 24 the current composition of its 2008 board of directors. Ten of 11 governmental appointments to the board have been made and all 14 NYRA elected seats have been filled.
The Jockeys' Guild, which filed for bankruptcy protection Oct. 12 under chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy code, is relocating its business office to Lexington, said the organization's national manager Terry Meyocks.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Woodbine Announces 2014 Stakes Schedule
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta