Shrinking Violet, a bargain buy for owner/trainer Wesley Ward making her initial start at Santa Anita Park, scored a 10-1 upset in the $200,000 Monrovia Stakes (gr. IIT) on the hillside turf course Jan. 4.
Closing day of Tattersalls' elite Book 1 sale Oct. 9 saw the highest cumulative aggregate in the history of a European Thoroughbred auction, and a Galileo colt sold for the highest price for a yearling in the world this year.
Trainer Ralph Beckett enjoyed a one-two finish in the Investec Epsom Oaks (Eng-I) May 31 when his lightly regarded Talent closed furiously from near last to deny stablemate Secret Gesture in a 20-1 upset.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000
- OBS April First Session Soars
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo