Shrinking Violet, a bargain buy for owner/trainer Wesley Ward making her initial start at Santa Anita Park, scored a 10-1 upset in the $200,000 Monrovia Stakes (gr. IIT) on the hillside turf course Jan. 4.
Closing day of Tattersalls' elite Book 1 sale Oct. 9 saw the highest cumulative aggregate in the history of a European Thoroughbred auction, and a Galileo colt sold for the highest price for a yearling in the world this year.
Trainer Ralph Beckett enjoyed a one-two finish in the Investec Epsom Oaks (Eng-I) May 31 when his lightly regarded Talent closed furiously from near last to deny stablemate Secret Gesture in a 20-1 upset.
Most Popular Stories
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Ness Aiming for Ninth Straight Tampa Title
- Baffert: Derby Win 'Was a Big Sigh of Relief'
- Spanish Queen Unmatched in Honeymoon Victory
- Derby Overnight Rating Highest Since 1992
- Medaglia d'Oro Weanling Tops Inglis Sale
- International Star Scratched from the Derby
- 2015 Kentucky Derby Race Sequence
- Lovely Maria Easily Captures Kentucky Oaks