Shrinking Violet, a bargain buy for owner/trainer Wesley Ward making her initial start at Santa Anita Park, scored a 10-1 upset in the $200,000 Monrovia Stakes (gr. IIT) on the hillside turf course Jan. 4.
Closing day of Tattersalls' elite Book 1 sale Oct. 9 saw the highest cumulative aggregate in the history of a European Thoroughbred auction, and a Galileo colt sold for the highest price for a yearling in the world this year.
Trainer Ralph Beckett enjoyed a one-two finish in the Investec Epsom Oaks (Eng-I) May 31 when his lightly regarded Talent closed furiously from near last to deny stablemate Secret Gesture in a 20-1 upset.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Still Healing in Northwest
- Dickinson Decides to Return to Training
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- 'Pharoah' Heads Home, Next Race Undecided
- Upstart Fine After Haskell; Travers Next
- Injured Jockey Luzzi Cleared to Resume Riding
- Records Fall on Haskell Day at Monmouth Park
- Lea Tunes Up for Whitney in Workout
- World Approval, Night Prowler Seeking 'Fame'
- Haskin: Bronwen Healy's American Adventure