Shrinking Violet, a bargain buy for owner/trainer Wesley Ward making her initial start at Santa Anita Park, scored a 10-1 upset in the $200,000 Monrovia Stakes (gr. IIT) on the hillside turf course Jan. 4.
Closing day of Tattersalls' elite Book 1 sale Oct. 9 saw the highest cumulative aggregate in the history of a European Thoroughbred auction, and a Galileo colt sold for the highest price for a yearling in the world this year.
Trainer Ralph Beckett enjoyed a one-two finish in the Investec Epsom Oaks (Eng-I) May 31 when his lightly regarded Talent closed furiously from near last to deny stablemate Secret Gesture in a 20-1 upset.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop