High-weighted Expansion and an interesting mix of veterans, including Brass Hat and Ascertain, headline a field of 12 in Keeneland's April 23 closing day feature, the $200,000 Fifth Third Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIT).
Presious Passion went wire-to-wire in the 12-furlong marathon Pan American April 5 at Gulfstream Park, winning for trainer Mary Hartmann.
Millionaire Cosmonaut figures to be the clear favorite in the Nov. 23 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs. The field of seasoned, older runners features horses bred in Kentucky, California, Canada, England, and Ireland.
Ascertain outlasted fast-closing Always First by a diminishing neck to win the $200,000 Fifth Third Elkhorn Stakes (gr. IIIT) Friday as Keeneland closed its 15-day spring meeting.
Last year's Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Jazil is scheduled to make his turf debut against several accomplished grass runners in the April 27 Fifth Third Elkhorn (gr. IIIT) stakes on closing day of the Keeneland spring meet. Other top contenders in the $200,000 race are Ramazutti and last year's Elkhorn winner Pellegrino.
No jockey has won more races at Arlington Park than Hall of Fame rider Earlie Fires, and the veteran added to his total with a well-timed come-from-behind upset victory by a head aboard Major Rhythm in Sunday's $195,500 Stars and Stripes Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IIIT).
Stronach Stables' Silver Whistle, most recently fifth in the Grade I Manhattan Handicap at Belmont Park June 10, looks to return to his winning ways in Sunday's $200,000 Stars and Stripes Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IIIT), Arlington's traditional Fourth of July weekend headliner.
Godolphin Racing has revealed that the American-bred Great Exhibition is its main hope for the UAE Derby (UAE-II) at Nad Al Sheba on Dubai World Cup night March 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- Farhaan Makes the Grade in Thunder Road
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Official Veterinary Team From China Visits Kentucky