Champ Pegasus defeated 11-10 choice Bourbon Bay by a nose after a scintillating stretch battle in the $150,000 San Luis Obispo Stakes (gr. IIT) on the Santa Anita turf course Feb. 19.
Champ Pegasus, a two-time graded stakes winner this year, is ready to take on foreign contenders in the Nov. 6 Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs.
Favored Champ Pegasus circled the field on the turn for home and charged home impressively to win Oak Tree's $250,000 Clement L. Hirsch Memorial Turf Championship Stakes (gr. IT) in style Oct. 3 at Hollyw
Favored Champ Pegasus took full advantage of a ground-saving ride from leading jockey Joel Rosario to win the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 29.
Salt Champ, an Argentine champion who won the Jan. 30 Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) in her North American debut, has been retired from racing after suffering a slight strain in a tendon.
Argentine-bred mare Salt Champ made her United States debut for trainer Richard Mandella with a visually impressive victory in the $250,000 Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) Sunday at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby