Slew Peg, a 3-year-old filly by 2000 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus, set a track record for the mile on the all-weather track at Turfway Park Wednesday night.
Favored Iosilver, ridden by Eddie Razo Jr., took control at the start and dominated his rivals to win the $100,000 Michael G. Schaefer Mile at Hoosier Park Saturday night.
Dogwood Stable's Vicarage, a dominating 10-length winner of the Perryville Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland, is the 8-5 morning line favorite in Sunday's $100,000-added Ack Ack Handicap (gr. III) at Churchill Downs, the featured event on the opening day of a 21-day fall meet.
The bettors overlooked Artemus Sunrise in the crowded $100,000 Turfway Park Fall Championship (gr. III) at Turfway Park Saturday, but at the wire he was right in front where they could see him.
The Dallas Stewart-trained Clock Stopper will make his next start in Sunday's $60,000 Colonel Power Handicap at Fair Grounds, and has been issued highweight of 122-pounds in the six furlong event.
The prominent team of owner Dr. Glen Warren and trainer Andrew Leggio Jr. made their presence felt on opening day at Fair Grounds as Ole Rebel closed from last to capture Thursday's $60,000 Thanksgiving Handicap before an opening day crowd of 7,465.
Fair Grounds Racecourse in New Orleans kicks off its 133rd season of live racing and first under the ownership of Churchill Downs Inc. Thursday with the traditional opening-day feature, the Thanksgiving Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options
- Beholder, 'Lord' Likely to Retire After BC
- Drosselmeyer to Remain in Brazil
- Noble Bird Heads Field of Eight in Fayette
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Forever Unbridled, Tom's Ready Work for BC
- Nine Supplemented to Fasig-Tipton November
- Mondialiste Likely for Breeders' Cup Turf