Saturday's Arkansas Derby has 12 colts scheduled to contest its nine furlong distance for a shot at the $500,000 purse.
Trainer Manny Tortora reported that Supah Blitz, a 3-year-old son of Mecke--Boots N' Jackie who finished a tiring fourth in the Florida Derby (gr. I), has a breathing problem.
Calumet Farm's favored Region Of Merit wore down front-running Hear No Evil in deep stretch and held off a determined late run from Aristocat to take Sunday's $250,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III).
Calumet Farm's Region of Merit is the 5-2 morning line favorite for Sunday's $250,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III). The son of Touch Gold will break from the outside post position in the nine-horse field. In the $150,000 Florida Oaks (gr. III) on the same card, Kinsman Stable's Ebony Breeze is the one to beat.
Trainer Todd Pletcher had a pair of his well-regarded 3-year-olds on the Palm Meadows track Monday morning and confirmed that Indy Dancer will contest Saturday's $1-million, grade I Florida Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- Ireland and the Thoroughbred
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- Former Derby Museum Resident Au Moon Dies
- Gulfstream Championship Meet Schedule Set
- AQHA President Blodgett Elected to AHC Board
- Santa Anita Stables Reopen Sept. 4
- Curlin to Hill 'n' Dale in 2016
- Florida Sire Stakes Series Continues Sept. 5
- That Handicapping Show: The Woodward Stakes
- Golf Outing to Raise Money for Morris, Others