Prominent U.S. and Canadian owner-breeder Eugene Melnyk announced June 11 his retirement from the sport of horse racing, with his racing and breeding stock to be dispersed July 14 at Fasig-Tipton Kentucky.
Quaesitor earned the first stakes victory of his career amidst a frosty conclusion to the 2013 season at Woodbine, closing from last to capture the marathon Valedictory Stakes (Can-III) from favorite Eagle Poise.
Spaghetti Mouse, the longest shot on the board at 41-to-1, romped to 3 1/2-length victory in Saturday's $288,330 British Columbia Derby (Can-III) at Hastings Park.
Canadian champion and classic winner Archers Bay came up with his first winner when his son Kent Ridge won July 5
Augustin Stable's Nashinda toyed with her four rivals in the $187,125 My Dear Stakes at Woodbine Saturday, sailing away to a five-length tally in the five-furlong feature.
Archers Bay, who won Canada's most prestigious race, the Queen's Plate, was euthanized Oct. 3 after complications arose following colic surgery.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Yorkiepoo Princess Scores Again at Aqueduct
- Unified Edges Mind Your Biscuits in GP Sprint