Leading Santa Anita jockey Rafael Bejarano was thrown heavily to the ground in the stretch of the final race March 13 when his mount, Parisian Art, had an apparent heart attack and died. The jockey was put into an ambulance on a stretcher and taken to nearby Arcadia Methodist Hospital.
Jockey Luis Jauregui, who fractured one of his lower vertebrae in a Jan. 26 racing accident, was discharged from Arcadia Methodist Hospital Jan. 30 after a four-day stay.
Retired jockey Laffit Pincay Jr. is planning to file a lawsuit against Santa Anita racetrack, Huntington Ambulance, and physician's assistant Angel Delgadillo the week of Sept. 22 alleging negligence in the treatment of the injuries that ended his riding career.
Jockey Joe Steiner, reached by phone Friday morning at Arcadia Methodist Hospital where he is recovering from injuries suffered in a spill in Wednesday's sixth race, said he was scheduled to undergo surgery at 5 p.m.
Jockey Joe Steiner was in stable condition at Arcadia Methodist Hospital Thursday after suffering multiple injuries in a spill in Wednesday's sixth race at Santa Anita.
Alex Solis was scheduled to be released from Arcadia Methodist Hospital Sunday morning after an overnight stay following a spill in Saturday's ninth race.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Creative Cause Filly Sells for $575,000
- OBS April First Session Soars
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo