Larry Barrera returns from an 11-year hiatus as a trainer when he sends out Aaron and Marie Jones' 3-year-old filly Summerwood in the first race at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Trainer Craig Lewis, saddened by the injury that took his Pacific Classic (gr. I) contender Arbiter out of the race, said Thusday, "This is as disappointing as almost anything I've ever experienced."
Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner War Emblem was reported in good shape this morning, following Tuesday's sizzling 5-furlong work in 57 3/5 seconds for Sunday's $1-million, grade I Pacific Classic.
Accomplishing what trainer Bob Baffert called "a nice, easy half-mile," Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner War Emblem buzzed the distance in 48.80 Wednesday under a tight hold by work rider Dana Barnes.
Asadurian And Asadurian's Arbiter tracked the early pacesetter for 10 furlongs, then forged to the front for the 11th and final panel as he raced to a record-setting, two-length victory in the $65,05 Kobuk King Stakes Thursday afternoon at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Narniyn Seeks Breakthrough in Jean Romanet
- F-T Saratoga Fall Sale Expanded to Two Days
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga