Larry Barrera returns from an 11-year hiatus as a trainer when he sends out Aaron and Marie Jones' 3-year-old filly Summerwood in the first race at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Trainer Craig Lewis, saddened by the injury that took his Pacific Classic (gr. I) contender Arbiter out of the race, said Thusday, "This is as disappointing as almost anything I've ever experienced."
Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner War Emblem was reported in good shape this morning, following Tuesday's sizzling 5-furlong work in 57 3/5 seconds for Sunday's $1-million, grade I Pacific Classic.
Accomplishing what trainer Bob Baffert called "a nice, easy half-mile," Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner War Emblem buzzed the distance in 48.80 Wednesday under a tight hold by work rider Dana Barnes.
Asadurian And Asadurian's Arbiter tracked the early pacesetter for 10 furlongs, then forged to the front for the 11th and final panel as he raced to a record-setting, two-length victory in the $65,05 Kobuk King Stakes Thursday afternoon at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Beholder to Make 2016 Debut in Adoration
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Lady Aurelia Awaits Queen Mary at Ascot
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite