Larry Barrera returns from an 11-year hiatus as a trainer when he sends out Aaron and Marie Jones' 3-year-old filly Summerwood in the first race at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Trainer Craig Lewis, saddened by the injury that took his Pacific Classic (gr. I) contender Arbiter out of the race, said Thusday, "This is as disappointing as almost anything I've ever experienced."
Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner War Emblem was reported in good shape this morning, following Tuesday's sizzling 5-furlong work in 57 3/5 seconds for Sunday's $1-million, grade I Pacific Classic.
Accomplishing what trainer Bob Baffert called "a nice, easy half-mile," Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner War Emblem buzzed the distance in 48.80 Wednesday under a tight hold by work rider Dana Barnes.
Asadurian And Asadurian's Arbiter tracked the early pacesetter for 10 furlongs, then forged to the front for the 11th and final panel as he raced to a record-setting, two-length victory in the $65,05 Kobuk King Stakes Thursday afternoon at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Empire Dreams Stretches Out in New York Derby
- Blue Horse Charities Merging Efforts with TAA
- Uniform Drug Program Picking Up Support
- Heir Kitty Set for Return in Great Lady M
- Jockey Morales Posts 1,000th Career Victory
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Equine Infectious Disease Outbreak Response 101
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty