Larry Barrera returns from an 11-year hiatus as a trainer when he sends out Aaron and Marie Jones' 3-year-old filly Summerwood in the first race at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Trainer Craig Lewis, saddened by the injury that took his Pacific Classic (gr. I) contender Arbiter out of the race, said Thusday, "This is as disappointing as almost anything I've ever experienced."
Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner War Emblem was reported in good shape this morning, following Tuesday's sizzling 5-furlong work in 57 3/5 seconds for Sunday's $1-million, grade I Pacific Classic.
Accomplishing what trainer Bob Baffert called "a nice, easy half-mile," Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and Preakness Stakes (gr. I) winner War Emblem buzzed the distance in 48.80 Wednesday under a tight hold by work rider Dana Barnes.
Asadurian And Asadurian's Arbiter tracked the early pacesetter for 10 furlongs, then forged to the front for the 11th and final panel as he raced to a record-setting, two-length victory in the $65,05 Kobuk King Stakes Thursday afternoon at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Online Stallion Season Auction Set for Iowa
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Minimum Stakes Purse to Increase at Aqueduct
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet