With a new casino next door, shouldn't some effort be made to spruce up Aqueduct? read blog
New York State will lose money and the racing industry severely dented if the go-ahead is given to a Wisconsin Indian tribe to build a casino in the Catskills resort region, a top Democratic lawmaker said Feb. 2.
The major racino operators in New York are urging the state's new governor and legislative leaders to scuttle a deal made by former Gov. David Paterson with a Wisconsin tribe for a full-fledged casino in the Catskills area.
The new casino at Aqueduct racetrack should have ground broken on the project by the end of the month, according to the head of the New York Racing Association.
After nine years of on-again, off-again movement, the Aqueduct casino project now seems all but certain to be a done deal.
A legal challenge to stop the current Aqueduct casino bidding process and award the contract to a previous bidder was tossed out by a New York state judge July 29, said state officials who were in the courtroom.
A New York state judge has temporarily halted the bidding process for the Aqueduct casino project to give time to consider a lawsuit brought by a consortium that had won the casino rights in a previous bidding round.
- By Tom Precious
Legal restrictions foil proposal to keep NYRA solvent through the current year. NYRA says state is behind on payments they promised to make.
New York State has issued a new call for bidders to operate a casino at Aqueduct, nine years after the project was first approved by the legislature.
- By Tom Precious
The projected costs of the New York Racing Association's video lottery terminal casino keep soaring, and state officials are voicing renewed concerns about the delay in building the new gambling facility at Aqueduct racetrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Mo Don't Know Named Ohio Horse of the Year