William Pape's 10-year-old won A.P. Smithwick 'Chase (NSA-I) at Saratoga, then finished season with big win in the Colonial Cup (NSA-I)
Flashing brilliance at Saratoga Race Course's Open House on the flat, Hirapour served notice that he had returned. Owned by Eldon Farm, the 10-year-old gelding takes on seven rivals in Thursday's $75,000-added A.P. Smithwick Memorial (NSA-II) in his first start over jumps since November 2005.
Saratoga Racecourse will depart from its traditional "Steeplechase Wednesdays" on Aug. 8 this year so the the A.P. Smithwick Memorial (NSA-II) can be run in conjunction with the annual induction ceremonies for the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame.
It might be handy to have a breeding chart with you while studying Thursday's eighth running of the $75,000 A.P. Smithwick Memorial Steeplechase (NSA-II) at 2 1/16-miles over National Fences at Saratoga Race Course. And that's just for the trainers.
By Sean Clancy
From The Saratoga Special, reprinted with permission
Most Popular Stories
- Judy the Beauty Splendid in Las Flores Score
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Expectations High for OBS 2-Year-Old Sale
- Darley Sire Lonhro Enters Australian Hall
- Golden Gate Fields Adds Alcatraz Stakes
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%