With the new, $88-million Meadowlands Racetrack scheduled to open for live Standardbred racing Nov. 23, Jeff Gural understandably has a case of the jitters.
Richard Hannon, one of British horse racing's most colorful trainers whose owners include Queen Elizabeth II, will retire at the end of year and hand over duties to his son.
A federal judge Feb. 28 upheld a 21-year-old law prohibiting sports betting in 46 of 50 states, dealing a setback to New Jersey's attempts to revive its struggling casino industry.
Three ClassicStar principals -- David Plummer, Spencer Plummer, and Terry Green -- have pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to defraud the U.S. through a fraudulent tax shelter under the ClassicStar Mare Lease Program, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
Ravel is off the Triple Crown Trail after an injury to his left front cannon bone was detected March 21.
Up to 5,000 slot machines could draw crowds to Indiana's struggling horse racing tracks -- and bring in millions for the state -- under a proposal advanced by a House committee Wednesday.
Barbaro shows no sign of infection in either of his hind legs, and the Kentucky Derby winner has more healthy tissue on his diseased left hind hoof than he did in July when he was first stricken with laminitis.
Although only 20 will start, 22 horses were entered Wednesday for Saturday's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Belmont Fall Championship Meet Opens Sept. 5
- Breeder, Businessman Garvin Dies at Age 71
- Filly First Winner for Sire Elusive Warning
- After the Wire: Bernard Baruch & Woodward S.
- Condo Commando 'Splash-tastic' in Spinaway
- Midnight Storm Shakes Up Del Mar Derby
- Wise Dan Victorious in Bernard Baruch Return
- Longshots on Saratoga's Closing Day
- Itsmyluckyday Unlikely to Return in Gold Cup