A four-horse spill in the sixth race Feb. 6 at Tampa Bay Downs caused the death of one horse and resulted in four jockeys being taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa for observation.
If trainer Anthony Granitz seemed a bit subdued after scoring his 1,000th career victory Jan. 4 in the sixth race at Tampa Bay Downs with Wedding Savior, it was perfectly understandable.
Jockey Paco Lopez is expected to miss up to two months after suffering a broken collarbone and six fractured ribs in a spill at Gulfstream Park March 17, according to his agent Cory Moran.
Gulfstream Park jockeys Paco Lopez and Antonio Gallardo were transported to Memorial Regional Hospital on the evening of March 17 after both were involved in a spill in the 11th race, the track reported.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Adversaries Unite at Trainers' Dinner
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Grudge Match in the Alysheba
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Nyquist's Groom Keeps Top Derby Horse Happy
- NBC Sports Group Sets Derby Week Coverage
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop