This morning on the backside near the clockers' stand, Ron Anderson and Doc Danner are shooting the breeze, taking a break from the normal routine of lobbying trainers and chatting up owners in the hopes of scoring winning mounts for their riders. Anderson represents Garrett Gomez, currently fifth in the standings at Saratoga. Danner's jock is Shaun Bridgmohan, who ranks tenth.
Following on its popular series "10 Hardest Things to do in Sports" last year (hitting a baseball ranked first), USA Today has undertaken to rank the "10 Toughest Athletes." In the series that began with Monday's edition of the national newspaper, jockey Julie Krone was featured as the "10th toughest athlete."
Joe Hampshire Jr. will try to keep his 23-day winning streak alive on Saturday.
The death of jockey Chris Antley has been ruled an accidental overdose by the Los Angeles County coroner. In a report finalized Thursday, the coroner attributed Antley's death to multiple drug intoxication. Initially, Pasadena, Ca., police ruled the jockey's death a homicide after finding his body face down in a hallway of his Pasadena home Dec. 2. Four drugs were found present in Antley's body, according to toxicology tests performed by the coroner.
A purported associate of the late jockey Chris Antley has been arrested on charges unrelated to the rider's death Saturday night. Antley was pronounced dead at his southern California home as a result of "severe trauma to the head." Timothy Wyman Tyler Jr., 24, of Dana Point, was being held in lieu of $45,000 bail on warrants involving drugs and driving under the influence, police said.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- O'Neill and Racing's Slow Regulatory Process
- F-T October Running Ahead of 2013 Record Pace
- Raffetto Joins New England HBPA Effort
- HRTV to Air Live Coverage of Breeders' Cup
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- Trakus Coming to Some Australian Racecourses
- F-T October Yearling Sale Recap Day 2
- Podcast: Bob Baffert and the Breeders' Cup