Voters in Revere, Mass., overwhelmingly backed Suffolk Downs and gaming partner Mohegan Sun in their plan to develop a world-class destination resort casino on the grounds of the 79-year-old track.
Suffolk Downs Oct. 24 released details of a $40 million "racing improvement plan" tied to its bid for a destination casino license. Officials held a press conference at Indian Rock Stables, a Thoroughbred breeding farm.
Horse racing will receive a share of gaming revenue from the casinos that will be built in Massachusetts, but during an Oct. 16 forum on the industry, stakeholders asked a question: What good is the money without racetracks?
The 2013 live racing season at Suffolk Downs will begin Saturday, June 1 and continue through Nov. 2, the track announced May 21 as it introduced its initial racing schedule and other plans for the upcoming season.
Suffolk Downs will open for its 2012 live racing season June 2 and the horsemen and track management are expressing a new sense of optimism since the legalization of expanded gambling in Massachusetts last fall.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- Boston and Suffolk Downs Begin Planning
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- 95% Clearance Rate on Day 2 at Tattersalls
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Xpressbet to Sponsor West Virginia Derby
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20