Hill 'n' Dale Equine Holdings and Philip Steinberg's homebred Got Lucky turned the tables on rival Stiffed in emphatic fashion July 3, pouncing first and pulling away to win in the $150,000 Molly Pitcher Stakes (gr. III).
Winning Cause made amends for a runner-up finish in last year's Red Bank Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park when getting up late to edge Heart to Heart and win in this year's edition May 16.
Trainer Todd Pletcher was half a world away in Dubai when the Gulfstream stakes races began Saturday afternoon, but his powerful stable came out strong with heavily favored Safari Queen and Almonsoon posting a one-two finish in the $150,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIIT), the first of five stakes on the Florida Derby Day program.
A change in his usual tactics contributed to a career-best effort for Anstu Stable's Ramazutti, a handy winner of Sunday's $150,000 Mac Diarmida Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 3/8 miles on the Gulfstream Park lawn.
Michael Tabor's Love Locket, from the very deep stable of Todd Pletcher, is one of the horses to watch in a compact but talented field of six entered for the $200,000 Monmouth Park Breeders' Cup Oaks (gr. III) Sunday.
With half the field boasting victories over the track, there's plenty of local angles to Sunday's 80th running of the $200,000 Monmouth Breeders' Cup Oaks (gr. II) at Oceanport, N.J.
Anstu Stable's Balto Star has developed a very noticeable racing pattern. Since last year, the Todd Pletcher-trained 5-year-old has followed every bad race with a very good race. And, since last out he ran last in the Pimlico Special (gr. I), his rivals in Saturday's $100,000 Oceanport Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth better have their running shoes on.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire
- Sherman Accepts Big Sport of Turfdom Award
- BloodHorse, Weatherbys Launch Stallions App
- Keeneland Catalogs 1,892 for January Sale
- Jockey Club Opposes Multiple Violator Changes
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Symposium Documents Racing's Racino Problem
- Sunbean Seeks Third Louisiana Classic Win