A West Virginia circuit court has overturned the West Virginia Racing Commission's call for fines and suspensions for seven riders involved in a scandal alleging improperly reported riding weights at Charles Town in 2009.
One horse was euthanized at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races the evening of Feb. 29 but other horses and their jockeys escaped serious injuries in a nasty racing accident.
Charles Town Races & Slots said Oct. 22 it has broad support from Thoroughbred owners and breeders for a Dec. 5 referendum to authorize the West Virginia racetrack to add casino-style table games, but issues that divide management and horsemen remain.
Two jockeys suspended at Charles Town Races & Slots picked up mounts at the West Virginia track April 18 in the wake of a court order allowing them to access the grounds and to compete in races pending a hearing.
The clerk of scales and seven jockeys at Charles Town Races & Slots have been suspended and fined as a result of an investigation into riders competing with incorrect weight.
Speed Whiz won the $500,000 West Virginia Breeders Classic for the second year in a row on Saturday night at Charles Town Races & Slots.
The Maryland State Fair at Timonium will host eight days of Thoroughbred racing, featuring two stakes Aug. 28 through Labor Day, Sept. 6. The two stakes for Maryland-breds are the $50,000 Alma North and the $50,000 Taking Risk Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Martin Defends Sending 'Chrome' to Ascot
- Rivals Back to Challenge Dortmund in SA Derby
- Former Claimer Chases Greatness in SA Oaks
- 2015 Florida Derby Race Sequence
- The Big Beast Returns to the Big Leagues
- Frosted Looking to Rebound in Wood Memorial
- Grade II Winner Williamstown Dead at 25
- Condo Commando Tops Gazelle Contenders
- Blinkers On 'Truth Or Else' in Arkansas Derby
- Blue Grass Hopefuls Train at Keeneland