A West Virginia circuit court has overturned the West Virginia Racing Commission's call for fines and suspensions for seven riders involved in a scandal alleging improperly reported riding weights at Charles Town in 2009.
One horse was euthanized at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races the evening of Feb. 29 but other horses and their jockeys escaped serious injuries in a nasty racing accident.
Charles Town Races & Slots said Oct. 22 it has broad support from Thoroughbred owners and breeders for a Dec. 5 referendum to authorize the West Virginia racetrack to add casino-style table games, but issues that divide management and horsemen remain.
Two jockeys suspended at Charles Town Races & Slots picked up mounts at the West Virginia track April 18 in the wake of a court order allowing them to access the grounds and to compete in races pending a hearing.
The clerk of scales and seven jockeys at Charles Town Races & Slots have been suspended and fined as a result of an investigation into riders competing with incorrect weight.
Speed Whiz won the $500,000 West Virginia Breeders Classic for the second year in a row on Saturday night at Charles Town Races & Slots.
The Maryland State Fair at Timonium will host eight days of Thoroughbred racing, featuring two stakes Aug. 28 through Labor Day, Sept. 6. The two stakes for Maryland-breds are the $50,000 Alma North and the $50,000 Taking Risk Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Drefong Gallops Home to King's Bishop Score
- Nyquist Begins Work for Pennsylvania Derby
- A. P. Indian Gets Second Grade I in Forego
- Cavorting on Top in Personal Ensign
- Haveyougoneaway Surges to Ballerina Win
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Dialed In Colt Reckling Graduates at Saratoga
- Woodward Up Next for Frosted
- Lady Eli's Miracle Comeback Looms