Friends Lake, who has not started since winning the Florida Derby (gr. I) on March 13, worked five furlongs in 1:03 during heavy rain at Churchill Downs Sunday morning. Light rain started falling around 5:30 a.m., and the heavens opened up just after 6, rendering the track surface, already heavy with water from rains earlier in the week, to slop.
Friends Lake may have paid $76.80 for his Florida Derby (gr. I) victory, due perhaps to a two-month layoff and an uninspired third in the Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III). Certainly, his success should have come as no surprise when considering his pedigree.
Chester Broman's 9-year-old Antespend was euthanized in April at the owner's Chestertown Farm near Chestertown, N.Y., because of complications while foaling a Seeking the Gold filly.
Most Popular Stories
- Tournaments Growing Fans and Owners
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Immediate Effects of Shoeing on Horses' Movement
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record