Hilmer C. Schmidt, a leading figure in the Florida racing and breeding industry for years, died May 26 at his Brenham, Texas, home following a lengthy illness.
Skip Away, the 1998 Horse of the Year and currently third on the all-time leading earners list in North America, dies of heart attack at Rick Trontz' Hopewell Farm near Midway, Ky.
Skip Away, a four-time Eclipse Award winner and the second leading North American earner of all-time, was elected into racing's Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. His trainer, the late Hubert "Sonny" Hine, was inducted into the Hall of Fame last August.
Most Popular Stories
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Carpe Diem Works for Jet-Setting Pletcher
- International Star Heads Derby Works at CD
- Firing Line Drills in Company at Santa Anita
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- KY Derby: Pletcher on April 18 Derby Works
- No Medication for Mubtaahij in Kentucky Derby
- Churchill to Stream Derby, Oaks Workouts Live
- Mott Fights Denial of Assistant's Visa
- Former KY Governor Seeking Third Oaks Win