Hilmer C. Schmidt, a leading figure in the Florida racing and breeding industry for years, died May 26 at his Brenham, Texas, home following a lengthy illness.
Skip Away, the 1998 Horse of the Year and currently third on the all-time leading earners list in North America, dies of heart attack at Rick Trontz' Hopewell Farm near Midway, Ky.
Skip Away, a four-time Eclipse Award winner and the second leading North American earner of all-time, was elected into racing's Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. His trainer, the late Hubert "Sonny" Hine, was inducted into the Hall of Fame last August.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Another Try for Metaboss in John Henry Turf
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill