Hilmer C. Schmidt, a leading figure in the Florida racing and breeding industry for years, died May 26 at his Brenham, Texas, home following a lengthy illness.
Skip Away, the 1998 Horse of the Year and currently third on the all-time leading earners list in North America, dies of heart attack at Rick Trontz' Hopewell Farm near Midway, Ky.
Skip Away, a four-time Eclipse Award winner and the second leading North American earner of all-time, was elected into racing's Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. His trainer, the late Hubert "Sonny" Hine, was inducted into the Hall of Fame last August.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Alert Bay Wins Mathis Brothers Mile Thriller
- Prado 'Day to Day' After Gulfstream Spill
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Six Grade I Races Set for Belmont Stakes Day
- Salutos Amigos Adds Gravesend Stakes Victory
- New York Stallion Series On Tap at Aqueduct