Hilmer C. Schmidt, a leading figure in the Florida racing and breeding industry for years, died May 26 at his Brenham, Texas, home following a lengthy illness.
Skip Away, the 1998 Horse of the Year and currently third on the all-time leading earners list in North America, dies of heart attack at Rick Trontz' Hopewell Farm near Midway, Ky.
Skip Away, a four-time Eclipse Award winner and the second leading North American earner of all-time, was elected into racing's Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. His trainer, the late Hubert "Sonny" Hine, was inducted into the Hall of Fame last August.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate
- Two Juveniles Post Fastest Times at Barretts
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- McCraken Stretches Out in Keeneland Work
- Animo de Valeroso to Stand at Duncan Farms
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Honorable Duty Aims to Continue Fair Grounds Roll
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field