Flying Circle, ridden by Eddie Castro, rallied through the stretch and seized command in the final eighth to post a 2 ¼-length victory over pacesetting Angel Trumpet in Saturday's $111,000 Open Mind Stakes for 3-year-old fillies on the grass at Churchill Downs.
In a pair of stakes for 3-year-old sprinters on the Illinois Derby undercard at Hawthorne Saturday, Smoke Smoke Smoke rolled to an impressive win over Santana Strings in the $143,650 Lost Code Breeders' Cup while the filly Portsea handled favored Magascape in the $144,000 Meafara BC.
Favored Im a Dixie Girl took over in the stretch but was all out to hold off Runway Model for a neck victory in the $100,000 Bassinet for 2-year-old fillies at River Downs Saturday.
A field of 11 juvenile fillies, including recent Colleen Stakes winner Im a Dixie Girl, will compete Saturday at River Downs in the six-furlong, $100,000 Pepsi Bassinet Stakes.
Bob and Beverly Lewis' Classic Elegance came from far off the pace to win the Schuylerville Stakes (gr. II), the traditional opening day feature at Saratoga. The Carson City filly covered the six furlongs in 1:12.48, running down the front-running Angel Trumpet by a length in the final strides.
A field of 11 juvenile fillies, including top-weighted stakes winners Classic Elegance and Broadway Gold have been entered for Wednesday's $150,000 Schuylerville Stakes (gr. II), the featured event on Saratoga's opening-day card.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- Malibu Moon Filly Sells for $300,000 at F-T
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Inside the Magical Kingdom of Ballydoyle
- Positive Start to Fasig-Tipton October Sale
- Harzand to Aga Khan’s Gilltown Stud