The two best sprinters in Saturday's $100,000 Bold Ruler Handicap (gr. III) have at least one thing in common: they both have not raced since August. Despite their vacations, Anew and Songster's 2006 campaigns make them the horses to beat in six-furlong heat.
Odds-on choice Silver Train outfought War Front by a neck in a gritty stretch duel to capture the $150,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. II) over seven furlongs at Belmont Park Sunday.
Sunday's $150,000 Tom Fool Handicap (gr. II) at seven furlongs at Belmont Park is the last chance for Silver Train to run over his favorite track until the fall so trainer Richard Dutrow Jr. is taking this start as seriously as any grade I race.
Harry Aleo's Eclipse Award champion sprinter Lost in the Fog and Darley Stable's filly Dubai Escapade are the marquee names among the nominations to the eight stakes races worth $2 million to be run on the "Summit of Speed" program at Calder Racecourse on Saturday, July 15.
Belmont Stakes day stakes action got off to a rousing start in the $200,000 True North Handicap (gr. II) when Anew scorched to the lead from his outside gate and never relinquished that advantage, cruising to the wire in 1:08.10.
Tiger tries to stay unbeaten against stakes rivals when he meets seven others in the $200,000 True North Handicap (gr. II) at six furlongs on the Belmont Park main track.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Adversaries Unite at Trainers' Dinner
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- Grudge Match in the Alysheba
- Nyquist's Groom Keeps Top Derby Horse Happy
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop
- NBC Sports Group Sets Derby Week Coverage